“Rules of thumb” on Magnetics
All magnetics from e3 signs are made to meet your needs and specifications, while retaining their durability and appearance for years to come! Proper use and care, however, will help to extend the life and protect the metallic surface to which it is applied.
Important — Use general caution applying any material to a painted metallic surface without following all instructions. By following these instructions, you can ensure top performance. Failure to follow these instructions and tips may cause damage to the magnetic material and/or surface to which applied and/or failure of the magnet to maintain its hold. We recommend that you keep these tips handy to review periodically. We take pride in keeping our clients informed to help prevent such consequences.
Preparing Magnetic-Receptive Surfaces
• Before affixing magnetics to a metal surface, be sure all surface paints, clear coats and waxes are cured (hardened).
• Clean the metallic surface and the magnet with mild detergent.
• Wipe with a soft cloth or allow to dry.
*(Approximate curing times: paint—90 days; clear coat—60 days; wax—2 days.)
Applying Your Magnetics
• Before applying, test all inks and paints used on the magnet for adhesion and solvent compatibility.
• Affix to smooth, flat or gently curved metallic surfaces.
• Make sure the entire magnet is flat against the metal surface. Do not place over protrusions (molding, decals, pin striping, etc.) or concave areas. There must be NO air pockets.
• The magnet itself should be at a room temperature of 60°F (16°C) or above when installed to achieve best results.
• Do not apply magnetics that have been curled with the magnet side out. The magnet may not attach properly to the metallic surface resulting in lifted corners or air gaps which will weaken its holding strength.
Storing Your Magnetics
• When not using your magnetic graphics, keep them in a clean, dry place at room temperature or about 68º F.
• Store rolled stock on end to keep it from developing flat spots.
• Store rolled sign material on end with the printed or vinyl side out.
• Stack flat magnet on a level surface. Avoid placing objects (such as cartons) on top that could damage the face; do not stack with magnetic sides facing each other.
• We recommend rounded corners for magnetic vehicle signage.
• If you place the magnet in the wrong position, completely remove the magnet from the surface and reaffix. Lift at sides and not at corners to remove. Do not pull the magnet across the surface, or it may stretch due to the resistance caused by the high magnetic strength.
• Do NOT use on horizontal metal surfaces exposed to direct sunlight (such as automobile hoods), temperatures exceeding 160ºF (71ºC) or temperatures below -15ºF (-26ºC). Exposure to cold weather will make the magnet more brittle so use caution when handling.
• Be aware that long-term use on surfaces frequently exposed to sunlight (such as vehicles) can result in uneven fading of the surface because the magnet-covered area is shielded from ultraviolet rays.
• Do NOT use on non-metallic body fillers, simulated wood grain siding and repainted surfaces.
NOTE: Doors and panels on some vehicles are not made of steel. This product will not work on aluminum and plastic surfaces.
Cleaning Flexible Magnetics
• To guard against moisture and dirt buildup between the magnetics and the metal surface (particularly on outdoor applications), remove the magnet at regular intervals. Clean both the magnet and metal surface with soap and water; wipe with a soft cloth or allow to air-dry. (For vehicle-mounted signs, remove and clean DAILY.) You can use Windex with no Ammonia & Vinegar).
• After waxing and polishing, allow 2 days for wax to cure before applying magnets.
CAR-SAFE CLEAN AND CARE GUIDELINES
INSTALLATION: It is best to apply magnetic decals when the temperature of the magnet is near room temperature or about 68ºF. Carefully align one edge of the flexible magnetic sheeting to the vehicle’s surface. Allow the remainder of the sheet to apply itself to the vehicle’s surface. Do not allow any air pockets to form under the magnetic sheeting. If it isn’t aligned properly, be sure to completely remove the sheeting and start over again. Do not pull or drag to realign. This can damage and stretch the material.
REMOVAL: Remove periodically to guard against moisture and dirt buildup. On vehicles, it is recommended to remove daily to ensure that the vehicle and the magnetic sheet surfaces are clean and free of roadway debris. Dirt and moisture trapped between your magnetic graphics and your vehicle can damage its finish.
CLEANING: Clean your magnetic graphics with a mild detergent as well as the metallic surface it is being re-applied to, wipe with a soft cloth and allow to dry. This will help to lengthen the life of your product and will
help protect the surface of your vehicle.
Avoid using on repainted surfaces, non-metallic body fillers and wood grain vinyl siding.